Got a new planner today! It’s Lilly, and as per Lilly usual, it’s so darn cheerful I smile a little just flipping through it. And could we please take a minute to mention my obsessively scheduling every single event I’m aware of that’s taking place over the next seventeen months…with the notable exception of graduation?
Honestly, I don’t think Lilly Pulitzer herself could put enough happy stickers in this thing to make me feel OK about that.
House Manager Problems for July 22
The show we’re running right now got such an awesome review even the stage manager got a shout out and I’m so proud I can’t even see straight, but I don’t want to be responsible for promoting the show so the audience gets bigger and my job gets harder. It occurs to me that what’s AMAZING for the gander actually kinda sucks for the goose. Funny, that!
I burn my candle at both ends -
it will not last the summer.
That’s really all I came up with.
Parodizing classic poetry is a total bummer.
(The fact that the rhymes’ rhythms don’t quite match up is driving Your Humble Writer insane, but I think you get the point, which is that I am so tired I can’t really feel things anymore. Two months of six twelve-hour days a week doubled with minor personal trauma will do this to a lass.)
And here I had forgotten about my favorite Urban Dictionary entry:
Naughty by Norfolk: Of, or relating to, the act of doing what Norfolkians do best: being naughty.
After drinking two 40s of Olde English, he dropped his pants and urinated on the cop car while saying, “I am naughty by Norfolk”.
Occasionally, and only occasionally, I miss that crazy place.
Just did the abs and arms portion of my workout while watching Caddyshack. Who’s a champ? This girl.
Like every other fucking nerd who’s into them, I always kind of bristle at the assertion that They Might Be Giants is a joke band. But then they write songs like “When Will You Die” (a really awesome song about telling off an asshole that you hate, bee tee dubs) that involve lyrics like this:
this is Dan
and that’s Dan
and that’s Marty on the drums
to complete the band
and I’m John
and he is also John
and all of us are wondering
when you’re gonna die
Johns, I love you more than has ever been reasonable. I just don’t understand why you’ve got to make it so hard for me to defend you sometimes. Not that I’m not sitting here laughing my ass off, of course.
Tomorrow, my “Gettin’ Down to a Weight That Will Get Me Cast in Richmond” quest begins.
I should note that this quest is more or less because of an audition that is better than six months away.
School needs to start in a very, very serious way.
Rediscovered this text exchange between myself and the fancy princess:
I: Pudding is the only thing worth living for.
P: I’d say sex and pretzel Goldfish are also worthy alternates, but I’m not going to argue with you.
Nerd Rant 07/14:
1. Okay okay fine Academy, I GET IT, you don’t like Community. But MY GOD, “The Rocky Horror Glee Show” got more nominations and that might just have been the worst hour of television all year.
2. I’ve given up on ever seeing Danny Pudi in Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series (or seeing fucking Chris Colfer out of it), but how in God’s name could anyone consciously nominate Jon Cryer over Nick Offerman? Likewise Johnny Galecki over Joel McHale. What.
3. Glee is not a comedy, it is not funny, it hasn’t been funny since the first half of the first season, and if you take out the flashy musical numbers, it is one of the most Godawful shows on television - bad acting and worse writing. It’s also the worst thing to ever happen to arts education since Govnah Bobby tried to get rid of the Virginia Commission for the Arts, but that’s another soapbox for another day.
4. I don’t love Parenthood, but where the hell is Lauren Graham?
5. Alright, so maybe my Glee hatred is a little much, whatever. I just don’t take kindly to things ruining three quarters of the things I actually like in one neat, 45-minute long package.
6. If you’re going to fuck with CBS comedies (and I wouldn’t), why not How I Met Your Mother? Two and a Half Men is awful, and Big Bang hasn’t been good for a few seasons now.
7. I don’t think I’m ever going to get Modern Family, so I’m going to withhold my judgement. Still, it can’t possibly be good enough for 4/6 Supporting Actors to come from it, especially with the wealth of truly great comedies (and comedic actors) on the air now.
8. Goddamn I love Louis C.K., but if Steve Carell doesn’t finally win, I am going to get in a knife fight with someone.
Nerd Joy 07/14
1. Outstanding Variety Series is literally the most beautiful category I’ve ever seen, and even though the Daily Show will walk away with its 394832th statue, any one of them would make me straight-up giddy. And I’m not going to lie, I will probably cry a little if Jimmy Fallon wins.
2. PARKS AND REC PARKS AND REC PARKS AND REC
3. Louis C.K.!
4. Can I just talk about Outstanding Variety Series again? Because oh my God. Perfect. Almost makes up for how egregiously bad the other 98 are.
Like I’ve done every year since I was 10, I’ll be getting up crazy early tomorrow to watch the Emmy nominations get announced.
I always wonder if the reason for this is:
(a) that I just know that one of those early mornings somewhere down the line, it will not be my phone’s shitty alarm clock waking me up, but rather my phone ringing with very happy news on the other line
(b) that I am a nerd in the worst fucking way
Maybe it’s the fatigue, but right now I’m leaning on the latter.
VCU Will Not Let It Die #38490-38
Just downloaded a whole bunch of new music to work out to. Five songs in, I realize I’ve heard most of this before! But where, pray tell? Where?
Armada, of course!